Our Powder Coat kettlebells vary by size and dimensions based on the weight. Therefore, the more weight you need, the larger the kettlebell is.
Our Competition style kettlebells are all the same size regardless of weight within their respective series. So, an 8 KG kettlebell is the same size and dimension of a 48 KG kettlebell. This includes our Competition Kettlebells 35mm and 33mm handles as well as our Fitness Edition Competition Kettlebells.
What Size Kettlebell?
The starting weight you choose can vary based on your kettlebell experience as well as fitness and strength level. While it is hard to make specific recommendations without knowing you personally, there are some guidelines that have come to be over the years that we believe are helpful.
Men - Men who are new to kettlebell training and lifting in general should start with a 35 pound or 16 kilogram kettlebell. This is a great starting weight even for a strong man as he learns proper form. A man with good gym strength can continue to get great workouts with this weight because of the unlimited possibilities of kettlebell training.
Women - Women who are new to kettlebell training and lifting in general should start with an 18 pound or 8 kilogram kettlebell. This weight is ideal for a woman who is just beginning weight training whether it be in the gym or at home.
What Size - More in Depth
MEN - As mentioned, men who are new to kettlebell training should start with 35lb or 16kg. This is the ideal weight for the average man, new to weights or with a bench press strength of under 200 pounds. Men who are new to kettlebells, but not weight training or who have a higher bench press could start with a 44 pound or 20 kilogram kettlebell. Most men will quickly be able to use a 53 pound or 24 kilogram kettlebell after a few months of kettlebell training. If you are of advanced strength, but new to kettlebells we recommend starting with a 53 pound or 24 kilogram kettlebell, knowing you will progress past this in up to 6 months. For this reason, consider a the Set Builder.
WOMEN - Women who are new to kettlebell training and lifting in general should start with an 18 pound or 8 kilogram kettlebell. This weight is ideal for a woman who is just beginning weight training whether it be in the gym or at home. Remember, you want a kettlebell you can grow with, even if this seems like a lot of weight at first, you will fairly quickly be able to increase your reps through regular use and the workouts you do. Women who use some form of weights but are new to kettlebells should start with a 26 pound or 12 kilogram kettlebell. For anyone who is going to be using kettlebells, a kettlebell set is great purchase. First because it will allow you to grow with your kettlebells and give you some variety as your strength increases for certain movements, but also because of the heavy discounts which are applied to sets versus individual purchases.
High Level - Types of Kettlebells to Choose From at Kettlebell Kings & The Differences
Within each type of kettlebell, both cast iron and steel, we have a number of different options. Below are the key differences between iron and steel. Further down the page we go through each individual model we create. The term 'competition' or 'competition style' kettlebell is sometimes synonomous with steel kettlebells, but theoretically there could be a steel kettlebell that differs from the information below. If there is, we have not seen one.
Cast Iron Kettlebells
- Our Cast Iron Kettlebells are Powder Coated. Think of the iron as the skeleton and the powder coat paint as the flesh, really durable flesh
- Made out of iron and range widely in size, depending on weight. They have a curved handle, that can also vary widely in width as well as diameter. The cast-iron kettlebell is solid, with no hollow space.
- Within Cast Iron Kettlebells we have models based in KG & American style LB increments.
- Traditionally thought of as best for kettlebell swings and turkish get ups.
- Our competition ketlebells are made of steel and are the same size and dimension across the weight range.
- The handle is flat across on top, and joins the body of the kettlebell vertically.
- We carry steel kettlebells in competition kettlebells in both 35 and 33mm as well as American style LB increments and KG increments.
- These are designed for high repetition snatches, jerks, cleans but are also great for bootcamp and high intensity workouts because of the wide flat base and uniform size ideal for push ups, dips, farmer's carry and more.
- Steel is more durable than cast iron
Different Kettlebells For Different Lifts
There is a benefit to using kilograms rather than pounds as well. Mentally, since “8” is less than “18,” the 8kg kettlebell will feel easier to lift than an 18lb kettlebell.
Swings, When teaching two hand swings, it can be a toss-up as to which style kettlebell to use. On one hand, the curved handle of a cast-iron kettlebell is easier to hold than the flat-handled competition kettlebell, however, since the handle’s vary in size depending on the weight of the cast-iron kettlebell, the lighter weight kettlebell’s have very narrow handles which are difficult to hold with two hands. Once beyond the learning phase, the curved handle of the cast-iron kettlebell is the clear winner for swings.
Goblet Squats, The curved handle of a cast-iron kettlebell is also preferred when performing Goblet Squats. Since the handle remains the same diameter all the way to the body of the kettlebell, the hand can get a firm grip on the handle, while the curve of the handle allows the wrist to stay more in line with the forearm.
These are the two main movements that one would consider a cast iron kettlebell for. There are some clear advantages for competition kettlebells in almost all other kettlebell movements. Since competition kettlebells are designed for high repetition snatches, jerks, cleans but are also great for bootcamp and high intensity workouts because of the wide flat base and uniform size ideal for push ups, dips, farmer's carry and more.
When To Increase Your Training Weight
We get asked frequently when one should consider increasing the weight of the kettlebell they use, the answer is it depends!
General Fitness Use:
Depending on your lifting goals, if you can perform these amount of reps with your kettlebell you should consider getting a heavier kettlebell
- Strengthening specific muscles: 1-3 reps, EX: 1-3 reps of any movement like squats
- Strengthening and building push power: 4-6 reps
- Increasing explosiveness: 7-9 reps
- Building endurance: 10-20 endurance.
- Building mental toughness and conditioning 21- 100 reps
Breaking Down Different Kettlebell Kings Series
Powder Coat Kettlebells in KG
Differs from any competition style kettlebell we carry mainly in that the dimensions of each kettlebell will differ based on the weight chosen. Additionally, made of iron and powder coated compared to competition kettlebells which are made of steel and painted with matte paint. The KG model we carry differs from the Powder Coat LB model we carry mainly in (1) different weight increments (2) dimensions and (3) the LB model having a grittier finish compared to this model. This kettlebell has more 5 star reviews than any powder coated kettlebell on the internet.
What is a Powder Coated Kettlebell?
Powder Coat kettlebells are made from Cast Iron and then painted with Powder Coating to protect the iron and improve grip texture for grueling workouts. Powder Coating is one of the most durable types of paint available on top of kettlebells. This series is based in popular kilogram increments.
Kettlebell Kings Are Different.
RECESSED LOGO, Our Cast Iron Powder Coated Kettlebells have recessed logos into the kettlebell. The Kettlebell Kings logo pictured above is recessed in the bell for increased comfort during lifting. Kettlebells with logos that are stamped or extruding (like most other brands) may cause discomfort during lifting when the logo makes contact with your hands, wrist and forearm. Additionally, if the logo is not in the bell itself it is inserted or glued in which will come out over time and create discomfort during lifts.
LIFETIME WARRANTY, No one else offered lifetime warranties on their cast iron kettlebells. We guarantee the structural integrity of the kettlebell for your lifetime. Check the warranty of any other kettlebell.
SMOOTH FINISH, when kettlebells come out of the mold they are still rough with edges and seams that tear up your hands if not polished off. Our bells are polished free of imperfections when they come out of the mold and then painted with powder coating to improve grip texture. Having a smooth finish protects your hands, wrists and forearms
Watch a Review of The Powder Coated Kettlebell
This kettlebell has more 5 star reviews than any powder coated kettlebell on the internet.
Powder Coat Kettlebells in LB
Differs from any competition style kettlebell we carry mainly in that the dimensions of each kettlebell will differ based on the weight chosen. Additionally, made of iron and powder coated compared to competition kettlebells which are made of steel and painted with matte paint. The KG model we carry differs from the Powder Coat LB model above we carry mainly in (1) different weight increments (2) dimensions and (3) this LB model having a grittier finish compared to this model.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY
- SMOOTH FINISH, Pay close attention to the finish when comparing to images of others, specifically how rough the finish looks and if there is the appearance of a seam. Casting a kettlebell leaves a seam or sharp rise across the middle of the underside of the handle. This seam needs to be filed down before the kettlebell is finished. Some companies do not remove this sharp seam and this can carve up your hand. Kettlebell Kings Powder Coat Kettlebells have a smoother finish because our casting process creates a smoother surface and imperfections are moved before applying the powder coat. Having a smooth finish protects your hands, wrists and forearms.
- DESIGNED, with longer surface area on top to grip during high repetition kettlebell swings, Other kettlebells are more round at the top and do not fit both hands for kettlebell swings
Competition Kettlebell - 35mm Handle
Kettlebell Kings carries three types of competition kettlebells. This kettlebell is the official kettlebell of Orange Kettlebell Club, American Kettlebell Alliance, Girevoy Sport Association of Australia, IKFF and is used at the majority competitive lifting events in the United States, Canada and Australia. The main difference between this model and the other two competition kettlebell models we create is the 35mm diameter handle (this is the international standard) and contains no fillers. Imagine a mold that steel is poured into, the shape of the kettlebell is upside down and the steel fills the mold to the precise weight of the kettlebell as it is poured. Most competition style kettlebellls are made differently. The biggest difference between this bell and the Fitness Edition bells are these contain no fillers, while the Fitness Edition bells do. Additionally, these are color coded to international standards in which each weight has a specific color. The Fitness Edition kettlebells are all black with colored bands on the handles. Lastly, these are based in kilogram weights.
What is a Competition Kettlebell?
Competition kettlebells are made of steel and are all the same size regardless of weight for a uniform training experience at all times. The bells are designed for high repetition exercises. If you have used barbells, think about when you train with plates that are all the same size regardless of weight so your form is always the same during Olympic lifts. Competition Kettlebells are the same premise in kettlebell form.
Kettlebell Kings Are Different.
NO FILLERS, each weight has an individual mold to cast precisely to the correct weight.traditional competition kettlebells are made with ONE mold and filled with fillers like saw dust and ball bearings to achieve desired weight, this leads to imprecision in weight and contents shifting during lifts
NO WELDING, cast as one solid piece instead of welding parts.
traditional kettlebells are made with welding the handles, bodies or bottom -- this makes kettlebells break easy
WINDOW, size and curvature compared to other models is designed for easier insertion with comfort overhead and in the rack position during lifts. More comfort and easier insertion equal better workouts and new personal records in strength, endurance and competitions.
Watch Review of Competition Kettlebells
Competition Kettlebell - Fitness Edition
The Fitness Edition kettlebells are made from steel and are all the same size regardless of weight. The key difference between these and our other two competition kettlebells are that these are made in American style LB weights like 25,30,35,40 as opposed to being based in kilograms like the other two. In order to keep cost down, these bells are steel shells, but contain fillers to acheive the desire weight while keeping the same dimensions across weights. The Fitness Edition kettlebells are all black with colored bands on the handles as opposed to the entire kettlebell being all one color. These kettlebells have 35mm handles.
These are updates to our popular Steel Standard Series! New features include pitted handle, wider grips for kettlebell swings and slots on the side for comfort during High Intensity style training and Bootcamp type exercises.
- FREE, SAME DAY SHIPPING, Kettlebells normally ship for almost as much as they cost, all kettlebell ordered before 5 PM CDT ship same day
- LIFETIME WARRANTY, We craft these kettlebell so well, we guarantee the structural integrity of the kettlebell for your lifetime
- PACKAGED WITH CARE, All kettlebells triple boxed with styrofoam inserts and wrapped with bands so your kettlebell arrives in pristine condition
WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT THESE KETTLEBELLS?
- ORIGINAL, One of a kind style of kettlebell, no one else has steel competition style kettlebells based in five pound increments
Competition Kettlebell - 33mm Handle
This kettlebell is unfilled and is made just like the 35mm handle model above. So, it is similiar in that it contains no fillers to the 35mm handle bell and different from the Fitness Edition which contains fillers. Additionally, this kettlebell is made in kilogram based increments and each kettlebell is a different color over the entire kettlebell, colored to international standards. The biggest difference of this model compared to the 35mm model is the 33mm handle compared to a 35mm handle. Additionally, the sides of the handle called the cones are larger on this model. This is designed to make it more comfortable for insertion during kettlebell sport lifts.
- HANDLE, TEARDROP SHAPE, the handle is modeled after Ural style bells with a 'teardrop' shaped handle which is 35mm from top to bottom and 33mm side to side
- CONES, enlarged cones on side angle of bell for greater comfort on hands, wrist and forearm in wrack and overhead position
HOLLOW CORE, because our kettlebell is constructed from a single steel cast without fillers, just the precise amount of steel for the desired weight, the aperture in the bottom allows you to be sure of this. This creates better balance during lifts as normal competition bells with welded bottoms and fillers can shift and rattle around with movement making it harder to complete your workout. If you see a competition style kettlebell without an opening in the bottom it is filled with sawdust and ball bearings or other fillers to achieve the desired weight. These will unsettle overtime and make the lift feel unbalanced as the contents shift around inside.
- NO WELDING, this unfilled competition kettlebell is made by precision single casting technology, which means it is cast as one solid piece instead of welding parts.
- traditional kettlebells are made with welding the handles, bodies or bottom -- this makes kettlebells break easy -- NO WELDING on our Kettlebell Sport Competition Series
- NO FILLERS, each weight has an individual mold to cast precisely to the correct weight.
- traditional competition kettlebells are made with ONE mold and filled with fillers like saw dust and ball bearings to achieve desired weight, this leads to imprecision in weight